The flora in the human gut constitute an extremely complex living system that aggressively protects your body from outside offenders.
The average American also eats far too many sugars, some 175 pounds per year, feeding the unhealthy bacteria, which stimulate disease.
Chemicals can also disrupt the microflora. The “bad” bacteria largely reside in the intestinal lining (mucosal barrier) that is over 300 square meters, or about the size of a tennis court. Mercola, 100 Trillion Bacteria in Your Gut: Learn How to Keep the Good Kind There
Since the advent of modern food-processing, auto-immune and inflammatory diseases have reached epidemic levels. Where people once thrived on natural, spontaneous, fermented foods, those who have instead turned their health over to factory-produced dead-nutrient, processed foods, are now suffering from a wide range of inflammatory disease, lactose and food intolerance disorders.
Scientists are finally beginning to understand how lacto-fermented traditional foods help modern health issues. Take cod liver oil…
“Vitamins A and D and the Omega 3 unsaturated fatty acids in the cod liver oil, helped keep people healthy. It was often said that the cod liver oil makers and other people that took a lot of cod liver oil were seemingly never ill.” Norwegian Fishing Village Museum
Cod liver oil was created when the livers, stored in vats, were fermented in the summer heat, causing their healthy oil to rise to the top where it was skimmed and bottled. Scientists have discovered that cod liver oil fatty acids cause the “switching off” of a recently-discovered enzyme that causes much of the pain and inflammation in arthritis – the Cyclooxygenase-2 – responsible for the biosynthesis of chemicals which cause inflammation. The key lactic-acid bacteria involved in the fermentation of cod liver oil are Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus sakei.
Other strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, in natural, spontaneous, lacto-fermented foods, offer other health benefits, including:
- Inhibit pathogens, such as E. coli or Clostridium perfringens
- Prevent diarrhea caused by (rota)virus or Salmonella
- Reduce effects (or eliminates) Candida infection
- Restore mucous lining of the “gut”
- Stimulate immune system
- Kidney stone development may be decreased by improving the “gut” flora because probiotic bacteria has been shown to neutralize oxalate, one of the risks for developing kidney stones. (California Dairy Research Foundation and Dairy and Food Culture Technologies)
- Release vitamins, minerals and enzymes from foods, making them readily-available
- Destroy wide-range of natural and synthetic toxins in raw foods
- Increase defecation, reducing constipation
- Break down sugars, starches and lactose for easier digestion
- Pancreas, liver, kidney are less stressed
- Help in the relief of anxiety and depression (enzymes play a huge role in gut-serotonin production!)
- Create beneficial fiber that is more compatible with digestive tract
All lacto-fermented foods have different strains or ratios of lactic-acid bacteria, and each of them is crucial to good health. For a well-balanced diet, be sure to eat a wide-range of fermented foods. Considering how many there are to choose from? Variety shouldn’t be a problem!
Pickl-It makes it fun and easy to always have batches of your favorite probiotics on-hand!
Lactobacillus casei Inhibits Ability of Lactobacillus casei DN-114 001 Inhibits the Ability of Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Isolated from Crohn’s Disease Patients To Adhere to and To Invade Intestinal Epithelial Cells
Microbiology for Teachers – or for those who love to learn!
Inflammatory Pelvic Disease – Change your diet!
|by Kathleen in Research | Permalink|
Did you know...
Pickled carrots and turnips are produced in Asia and Africa. They are known as hua-chai po in Thailand and tai tan tsoi in China.
I truly appreciate your swift reply to all my questions, and your glorious products!! I have a bad mold allergy, which is why I purchased the Pickl-It. Thank you, again!
—Kara B - Austin, TX