We always have lacto-fermented carrots on hand. They’re wonderful added to a fresh garden salad, or, with the addition of yogurt, touch of honey, and drizzle of orange juice, they’re a new “fast food!”, turned into their very own side-salad!
Pickl-It Dilled Carrots
1 1/2 lbs grated organic carrots (don’t peel!)
3 heads dill or 1 T packed fresh dill weed
2% brine (19 grams salt + 4-cups water)
1 1/2 T water for airlock
- Load the 1-liter Pickl-It with grated carrots and dill
- Pack carrots to remove air pockets
- Dissolve salt in water; pour over carrots until brine-height reaches the “shoulder”.
- Place lettuce, kale, chard, or cabbage leaf on top the shredded carrots,
- Place Dunk’R on top of chosen leaf material; insert flat-end of French rolling pin or wooden spoon into Dunk’R to press carrots/leaf, expressing oxygen
- Brine should extend 1-inch above carrots
- Snap the Pickl-It lid closed.
- Install airlock in lid (if it isn’t already in place), and add approximately 1 1/2 T water to the airlock, snapping on airlock plastic cover
- Place Pickl-It in a dark corner of the counter – for 3 to 5 days – drape towel around Pickl-It, but not over airlock, blocking light
- Ideal fermenting temperature is 72°F; if warmer, fermentation may occur in 3 days; if cooler, up to 7 days
- Remove the airlock and insert the Pickl-It Plug’R for refrigerator storage.
Ideal fermenting temperature is 68°F-72°F; if warmer, fermentation may occur in 3 days; if cooler, up to 7 days.
For some interesting facts about lacto-fermented carrots, read here
|by Kathleen in Recipes | Permalink|
Did you know...
In 1913, Yale researchers, Thomas Osborne and Lafayette Mendel discovered that butter contained a fat-soluble nutrient soon known as vitamin A.
—Vitamin A Discovered, 1913
Thought to write that I received the 5-liter Pickl-it about two weeks ago. I filled it to the “shoulder” with 3 grape leaves, 4 pealed garlic heads, six flowering sprigs of dill and several pounds of pickling cukes along with carrot “rails” to anchor it all underneath a brine. It went completely without a hitch. Pickling has never been easier. The cukes are crisp and full of flavor. I’ll be ordering from you again soon.
—Bill - Oregon