Fermentation not only greatly improves the flavor of peppers, but also –
“…is a preservation process which greatly increases the shelf life and decreases the need for refrigeration or other form of food preservation technology. It also benefits digestion in that microbial enzymes break down carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and other food components, can improve food digestion in the human gastrointestinal tract and thus increase nutrient uptake“ (Adams and Nout, 2001).
Lacto-fermention of peppers break the sugars down during fermenting, making nutrients more widely available, and creating natural probiotics, so that lacto-fermented peppers are actually a digestive aid!
- Peppers are the right food for people seeking a healthy, nutritious diet. Low in calories, high in Vitamins A and C, peppers are also high in a very important mineral – potassium.
- One cup of raw sweet green peppers contains 22 calories. For comparison a cup of cucumber is 16, cottage cheese is 223 and whole orange is about 41 calories.
- A red sweet or hot pepper contains about ten times more vitamin A and double the amount of Vitamin C than an immature green pepper.
- A 100 gram serving of red hot peppers eaten raw contains 369 milligrams of Vitamin C. The same serving size of sweet raw green pepper contains 128 milligrams, about one third less.
- Whether green or red a pepper contains more Vitamin C than a whole orange which contains only about 50 milligrams.
- For potassium rich foods, an average banana contains 370 milligrams and a cup of green sweet pepper has 213 mg raw and 149 mg if boiled before being eaten.
- When preparing them, remember that the heat – or capsaicin – they contain can be controlled by removing the inner seeds and membrane for a milder pepper, or leaving the insides for a hotter pepper.
- When working with hot peppers, it is best to wear gloves, and do not touch your face; eyes, nose, and mouth. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water when done._
- The body’s strong reaction to capsaicin is why many people claim chili has medicinal properties. A paper by a New Mexico biologist noted that the death rate from heart disease in the state was about half the national rate. She also said the rate of heart disease among Hispanics and Indians was low. Presumed reason? They all eat lots of chile pepper and that reduces blood fat levels. Hot peppers are said to protect against blood clots that could cause thromboembolism.
| Pepper History & Use
Picking A Pepper to Ferment
Pickl-It Pickled Pepper Recipe
|by Kathleen in Research | Permalink|
Did you know...
Olives are made edible because of lacto-fermentation microbes, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus mesenteroides.
We are really thankful for your creating and selling such a fine product, its the easiest and most foolproof fermenting product out there!
—John R - Marquette, Michigan