Frequently Asked Questions
Our specially-designed Dunk’R holds the vegetables under the brine! We tested a lot of contraptions over the last half-dozen years, searching for just the right one, holding vegetables under the brine without trapping excess carbon dioxide and oxygen. Some were too small, some too large – but then we located a glass laboratory to make a Dunk’R, to be Just Right!
- High-quality laboratory glass
- Flat bottom holds wide-variety food shapes under brine: grated, sliced, diced or whole
- Concave top leaves space for airlock just in case food expands (normal), pushing Dunk’R up against the cover (Solution: do not over-pack Pickl-It)
- Doesn’t sink down through the food
- Gentle downward pressure encourages oxygen up and out of food
- Allows oxygen and excess carbon-dioxide to escape around its edges
- Odor resistant
- Color resistant
- Heavy-metal free
|If you’re having trouble keeping small shredded bits of vegetables under the Dunk’R and the brine, see this FAQ.|
Did you know...
“Readers who have little knowledge [of Bulgarian bacillus in kephir] may be surprised by recommendations to absorb large quantities of microbes, as the general belief is microbes are all harmful. This belief, however, is erroneous. P. 181, Prolongation of life
—Metchnikoff Pro-Bacillus Quote
Wow!! Thanks for your helpful guidance as we switched our water kefir fermentation over to the Pickl-It system. We’ve been making water kefir for over a year, but it has always been open to the air with just a mesh covering. A couple of days ago our Christmas 3 – 3 Bundle came in and we set up the water kefir grains in a 1 L. It was time to harvest (& taste!!) this morning and IT IS SOOOOO GOOD!!!! There are none of the vinegary notes that were present in our past batches. It’s fully done – which I judge by the fact that it’s only very very slightly sweet, and the carbonation is good (on the subtle side instead of tickling your nose). It’s perfection! The flavor is very pleasing and refreshing. There’s no going back now : ) This is an easy breezy way to ferment excellent water kefir for sure!
—Janice S. - Indiana