Frequently Asked Questions
Our specially-designed Dunk’R holds the vegetables under the brine! We tested a lot of contraptions over the last half-dozen years, searching for just the right one, holding vegetables under the brine without trapping excess carbon dioxide and oxygen. Some were too small, some too large – but then we located a glass laboratory to make a Dunk’R, to be Just Right!
- High-quality laboratory glass
- Flat bottom holds wide-variety food shapes under brine: grated, sliced, diced or whole
- Concave top leaves space for airlock just in case food expands (normal), pushing Dunk’R up against the cover (Solution: do not over-pack Pickl-It)
- Doesn’t sink down through the food
- Gentle downward pressure encourages oxygen up and out of food
- Allows oxygen and excess carbon-dioxide to escape around its edges
- Odor resistant
- Color resistant
- Heavy-metal free
|If you’re having trouble keeping small shredded bits of vegetables under the Dunk’R and the brine, see this FAQ.|
Did you know...
Metchnikoff, 1907, “The Prolongation of Life“ credited soured Bulgarian milk with helping peasants to live longer lives, by eliminating putrefactive bacteria from the gastro-intestinal tract. Key? Lactobacillus bulgaricus! Naturally-occurring “probiotic!”
—Metchnikoff and Bulgarian Peasants, 1907
I’ve really been enjoying my 5 liter and 3/4 Pickl-It fermenters—quite a step up from the crock-Zip-loc technique I’d been using for most of the summer! Here’s my order for more….
—Lou L, California