Frequently Asked Questions
The airlock is a very important component of the Pickl-It system, fitting snugly in a grommet located in the Pickl-It lid, filled 1 1/2 T of water which:
- Releases excessive pressure created by the fermentation gases (carbon dioxide)
- Creates important anaerobic conditions inside the chamber, removing oxygen from the fermenting chamber
- Creates an anaerobic environment preferred by lactic-acid bacteria
- Helps lock in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients oxidized (destroyed!) in other open-vessel fermentation techniques
- Uses water as an insulator, blocking oxygen from entering the fermenting chamber; also acts as a filter, reducing “emissions” during fermentation (reduces strong fermenting odors, appreciated by sensitive noses!)
- Reduces emissions, thereby, reducing pests attracted to emissions
- Eliminates “pest” infestation, blocking entry from the fermenting chamber
- Releases excess carbon dioxide, and other gases created during fermentation, reducing food discoloration and “off” flavors
- Creates an anaerobic environment, required by lactic acid bacteria to produce more consistent color, flavor and texture of food.
Need help installing your airlock in the Pickl-It cover?: Installing the airlock
Did you know...
The Greeks held beet root in great esteem, offering it on a silver platter to the god, Apollo. In the middle ages, a meal was not considered complete without beetroot soup which would have been made from fermented beets.
—Greek Beet Soup
I LOVE your products! I have 2 (5 liter Pickl-It) and I use them all the time. BEST product ever!!! Keep up the GREAT work. God Bless