Frequently Asked Questions
|One of our customers mentioned they view their lacto-fermented foods as “pets”. They’re not far from wrong! Lactic-acid bacteria – foundational to all fermentation processes – have complex nutritional needs and thrive on starches, amino acids, nucleotide bases, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and carbohydrates from vegetables, grains and dairy.|
A few simple guidelines will ensure your lactic-acid bacteria are well-fed, which will, in turn, feed you well! To the best of your ability, use:
- High-quality, biodynamic-grown vegetables, fruits and dairy from grass-fed animals
- Antibiotic-free milk, as antibiotics will kill lactic-acid bacteria
- Filtered water that doesn’t contain fluoride or chlorine (both kill lactic-acid bacteria)
- Unrefined, high-mineral sea salts
- Cover Pickl-It (do not cover the airlock) to block UV light
Did you know...
By the mid-1920s the middle class began to complain, continuing for the rest of the century, that families no longer ate together.
—Family Time & Food
I am so pleased with your products. My fermentation has improved so much. No more disappointment that it turns moldy or spoilt.
—Luciana - Singapore