Frequently Asked Questions
|One of our customers mentioned they view their lacto-fermented foods as “pets”. They’re not far from wrong! Lactic-acid bacteria – foundational to all fermentation processes – have complex nutritional needs and thrive on starches, amino acids, nucleotide bases, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and carbohydrates from vegetables, grains and dairy.|
A few simple guidelines will ensure your lactic-acid bacteria are well-fed, which will, in turn, feed you well! To the best of your ability, use:
- High-quality, biodynamic-grown vegetables, fruits and dairy from grass-fed animals
- Antibiotic-free milk, as antibiotics will kill lactic-acid bacteria
- Filtered water that doesn’t contain fluoride or chlorine (both kill lactic-acid bacteria)
- Unrefined, high-mineral sea salts
- Cover Pickl-It (do not cover the airlock) to block UV light
Did you know...
Cauliflower stalks are fermented to produce achar tandal in India.
I'm heading out of town and will feel confident that my ferment will be fine sitting on my counter. I wouldn't feel that way if I didn't have the Pickl-it jar. I'm looking forward to getting more!