Carrots fermented with fresh dill weed, have been proclaimed by my 9-year-old chef-in-training, to be “the very, very best, EVER!” Great as a side-salad, sandwich filling, or topping for a mixed-greens salad, the brine is also wonderful, used as a simple salad dressing!
Not only do these fermented carrots have a refreshing, “clean” flavor, but a little research shows they offer numerous health benefits.
- While the carrot has been falsely accused of containing too much sugar (glycemic index is only 47), fermenting further reduces the sugar’s impact.
- Fermented carrots have more nutritional fiber than wheat bran, something that food researchers are just now realizing they need to study, instead of focusing on grains.
- Microbiology research has shown that lactic acid fermented carrots have an increase in the availability of iron, improving iron solubility up to 30 fold.
- As with other lactic acid fermented food, the rate of digestion and absorption is slowed down, allowing the digestive process more time to extract nutrients.
- When digestion and absorption are slowed down, there’s the added benefit of being “full”, reducing over-eating.
- A Swedish study fermented-carrot-juice showed that the mineral inhibitor, phytate, was completely degraded during the lacto-fermentation process.
Don’t forget your pets! Our poodle and parrots are extremely enthusiastic about these carrots. Fermented foods are very important for pets, helping them to maintain a health balance of beneficial microbes, just like us!
|by Kathleen in Research | Permalink|
Did you know...
“Over and over I explain to patients, ‘Your pain, misery and illness results from your own dietary mistakes and drugs. You are suffering because you are filled with toxic wastes caused by your diet of poorly selected food filled with artificial flavorings, preservatives, synthetics, and over-processed ingredients—too much stimulating food and too few natural vitamins from vegetables and fruits….’ Food is Your Best Medicine
—Henry G. Bieler, MD
Your Pickl-It has made my sourdough bread SO MUCH BETTER!