Frequently Asked Questions
|One of our customers mentioned they view their lacto-fermented foods as “pets”. They’re not far from wrong! Lactic-acid bacteria – foundational to all fermentation processes – have complex nutritional needs and thrive on starches, amino acids, nucleotide bases, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and carbohydrates from vegetables, grains and dairy.|
A few simple guidelines will ensure your lactic-acid bacteria are well-fed, which will, in turn, feed you well! To the best of your ability, use:
- High-quality, biodynamic-grown vegetables, fruits and dairy from grass-fed animals
- Antibiotic-free milk, as antibiotics will kill lactic-acid bacteria
- Filtered water that doesn’t contain fluoride or chlorine (both kill lactic-acid bacteria)
- Unrefined, high-mineral sea salts
- Cover Pickl-It (do not cover the airlock) to block UV light
Did you know...
“Over and over I explain to patients, ‘Your pain, misery and illness results from your own dietary mistakes and drugs. You are suffering because you are filled with toxic wastes caused by your diet of poorly selected food filled with artificial flavorings, preservatives, synthetics, and over-processed ingredients—too much stimulating food and too few natural vitamins from vegetables and fruits….’ Food is Your Best Medicine
—Henry G. Bieler, MD
Your Pickl-It has made my sourdough bread SO MUCH BETTER!